QUANTIC is a joint venture between the Barcelona Supercomputing Center, the University of Barcelona and the High Energy Physics Institute (IFAE). The research directions are focused on performing quantum computation in a laboratory of superconducting quantum circuits and studying new applications for quantum processors.
The Barcelona Supercomputing Center – Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It hosts MareNostrum 4, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe with 165,888 processors providing 11.1 Petaflops/s of processing power to scientific research.
The University of Barcelona is the largest one in Barcelona, with over 60,000 students, 5,500 researchers and 2,000 staff members. The theory team of QUANTIC is integrated within the ICCUB (Institut de Ciències del Cosmos de la Universitat de Barcelona) within the Quantum Physics and Astrophysics Deparatment at the Physics Faculty of the University of Barcelona.
Since May 1st 2019, the experimental team in Quantic led by Pol Forn-Díaz is located at the High Energy Physics Institute (IFAE, Institut de Física d’Altes Energies), located at the UAB campus in Bellaterra, near Barcelona. IFAE is the leading center in particle physics worldwide. Traditionally, it focused its research in particle detection, both at accelerators as well as those with cosmic origin. It also develops X-ray detection for medical purposes, neutrinos, and more recently gravitational waves. Currently, part of the experimental research is carried out at ICN2 (Institut Català de Nanociència i Nanotecnologia) at the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona campus in Bellaterra.
- Severo Ochoa IFAE, SEV-2016-0588. PI. M. Martínez.
- La Caixa Foundation Junior Group Leader, project “Superconducting unit cell coherent quantum annealer”, LCF/BQ/PR19/11700009. PI: P. Forn-Díaz.
- The Unitary Fund from Will Zeng, with project “Implementation of Adiabatically Assisted Variational Quantum Eigensolvers (AAVQE) in Forest“. PI: Carlos Bravo.
- MIT International Science and Technology Initiative Seed Fund – La Caixa Foundation, with project “Multi-Qubit Couplings in Superconducting Quantum Circuits“. PI: P. Forn-Díaz.
- Spanish national funding agency Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, with project “Computación Cuántica Realista” FIS2017-89860-P. PI: P. Forn-Díaz.
- Spanish national funding agency Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness, with project “Quantum entanglement in many-body systems“, FIS2015-69167-C2-2-P. PI: J. I. Latorre.